Self-immolation among Afghan women rises
Washington: An alarming number of Afghan women are setting themselves on fire in a desperate attempt to escape abuse, torture and domestic violence, human rights officials have said.
While some want to die, others simply hope their faces and bodies are so badly disfigured that their worth will plummet, and families and husbands who view them as commodities won’t care enough to beat them any longer.
Many even resort to self-immolation the night before they’re forced into a marriage, hoping the wedding will be called off, the New York Daily News reports.
According to the report, nearly as many are forced to lie about it when or if they’re brought to a hospital.
“I was in the kitchen cooking meat in a pressure cooker. Suddenly it exploded,” 16-year-old Taranna told ABC’s "20/20”, white bandages covering her burnt skin from head to toe.
Doctors who reviewed Taranna claimed that the teen wasn’t burned by a gas explosion, but by flame, likely, self-inflicted.
In approximately the past decade, women have regained voting and education rights in Afghanistan, but abuse is still widespread, the report said.
The burgeoning number of women resorting to self–immolation has now prompted the United Nations (UN), which this week called for Afghan officials to enforce the 2009 Elimination of Violence against Women (EWAW) law, the report added.
The law criminalises child marriage, forced marriage, buying and selling women, rape and beating, the report concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145