Senate set to OK Petraeus as US Afghan cdr
Washington: US General David Petraeus faces a confirmation hearing in the Senate on Tuesday expected to expose growing doubts about the U.S. effort in Afghanistan but broad support for the four-star general chosen to lead it.
One of the U.S. military`s biggest stars, Petraeus is widely credited with helping turn the tide in Iraq. President Barack Obama hopes he can do the same with the unpopular, nine-year-old war in Afghanistan.
Petraeus, 57, would replace General Stanley McChrystal, who was fired by Obama last week over comments made by him and his aides belittling the president and his aides and announced his retirement on Monday.
It was the biggest military shake-up of his presidency, and the second time the top Afghan commander was fired since Obama took office last year.
"This is Obama`s last chance," Arturo Munoz, a security analyst at the RAND Corporation, said of Petraeus.
If the general who helped pull Iraq back from the brink and oversaw development of the book on counter-insurgency strategy cannot win the war in Afghanistan, maybe no one can, Munoz added.
Carl Levin, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee to which Petraeus will testify, cautioned reporters a day ahead of the confirmation hearing that support for the war among Obama`s Democrats was starting to erode.
"On the Democratic side, there`s I would say solid support but there`s also the beginnings of some fraying of that support -- and that`s true in the base, as well as in the Congress," he told reporters.
He aimed to press Petraeus to increase the number of Afghan forces who are taking part in a campaign to secure the Taliban`s spiritual home of Kandahar, an operation seen as the linchpin of Obama`s war strategy.
After a slower-than-expected roll-out, that operation is expected to get fully under way in September and its perceived success or failure could affect Obama`s Democrats at the ballot box in November congressional elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister