Senior Pak Taliban commander killed in gunbattle
Islamabad: A senior Pakistani Taliban commander was killed in recent clashes with security forces in the Dir region bordering Afghanistan, media reports said on Sunday.
Taliban commander Mullah Mansoor was killed in a gun battle with security forces, state-run Radio Pakistan quoted official sources as saying.
Other media reports said Mansoor succumbed to injuries sustained during a clash between security forces and militants in Dir region of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, which has witnessed cross-border attacks by Pakistani Taliban fighters based in Afghanistan.
Mansoor was taken to a hospital in Afghanistan, where he died.
TV news channels quoted their sources as saying that 34 terrorists were killed in three days of fighting in the Dir area.
Mansoor belonged to Khaal area of Dir.
During a recent attack in Dir area, Taliban fighters captured and beheaded 17 Pakistani soldiers.
They later issued a gruesome video that showed the 17 heads lying on a white sheet.
The video contained an audio recording by Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakimullah Mehsud, who said his fighters would continue to battle the Pakistan Army until the government stops supporting the US and enforces Shariah or Islamic law in the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case