Senior PPP leader shot dead in Pakistan
Lahore: Senior Pakistan People`s Party leader Syed Talib Husain Shah was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Gujrat district of Punjab province, police officials said on Wednesday.
Shah, 70, was the vice-president of the PPP chapter in Gujrat, 125 km from Punjab capital Lahore.
He was a close aide of federal Power Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar and a four-time member of the Gujrat district council.
He was at a brick kiln owned by a friend when four gunmen riding a car came to the spot last evening and fired at him.
Shah was critically injured and was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries, police officials said.
Shah had been an active in politics for the past four decades and remained loyal to the PPP.
His family blamed the attack on political rivalry and said Shah had no personal enmity with anyone.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf expressed grief at the incident and directed police to arrest the killers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad