Separate Tamil state must in Lanka for lasting solution: PMK
Chennai: The PMK on Tuesday asked the UN and
the international community, including India, to initiate
steps for the formation of a separate Tamil nation within Sri
Lanka for a lasting solution to ethnic strife as the island
nation`s measures for welfare of minority Tamils are `not
"Tamil Eelam (a separate nation) alone is the lasting
solution and UN and other countries should initiate steps in
this regard," PMK founder leader Dr S Ramadoss said in a
He alleged that Sri Lanka had not taken steps to solve
issues responsible for the ethnic crisis. "No proper enquiry
has been conducted into the killings of Tamil civilians and
none of the actions by the government is credible," he said.
Citing reports, he said Sri Lankan authorities had
stated that India would help them over a UN report indicting
the Army for civilian casualties in the last phase of the war.
"If these reports are true it will leave a lasting
dent on India," he said.
Ramadoss, whose party is an ally of the ruling DMK in
Tamil Nadu, also demanded that diplomatic ties and trade
relations with Sri Lanka be severed to prove that India is
committed to "punishing Sri Lanka" (for alleged war crimes).
Referring to the UN report, he said Sri Lankan
President Mahinda Rajapakse should face trial for alleged war
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference