Separate US probe planned into NATO airstrike
Washington: A defence official says that US Central Command will conduct its own investigation into NATO`s involvement in airstrikes along the Afghan border that killed 24 Pakistani troops.
General James Mattis, who heads the command, is expected to appoint an investigating officer by Monday.
That`s according to the defence official, who was not authorised to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
NATO has a separate investigation under way. A key question to be examined by the US is who approved the airstrikes on Saturday and why.
Afghan officials say their soldiers called for help after being fired upon from the direction of Pakistani border posts. Pakistani authorities claim the airstrikes were unprovoked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad