Separate US probe planned into NATO airstrike
Washington: A defence official says that US Central Command will conduct its own investigation into NATO`s involvement in airstrikes along the Afghan border that killed 24 Pakistani troops.
General James Mattis, who heads the command, is expected to appoint an investigating officer by Monday.
That`s according to the defence official, who was not authorised to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
NATO has a separate investigation under way. A key question to be examined by the US is who approved the airstrikes on Saturday and why.
Afghan officials say their soldiers called for help after being fired upon from the direction of Pakistani border posts. Pakistani authorities claim the airstrikes were unprovoked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- Afzal Guru event: JNU panel holds 21 students 'guilty of indiscipline'; no relief to Umar, Anirban
- Water shortage may have led to demise of Maya civilisation