Settle Kishenganga on lines of 1960 Indus Treaty: Qureshi
Islamabad: Differences and disputes between
India and Pakistan on the Kishenganga project should be
addressed in line with the dispute-settlement mechanism in the
Indus Waters Treaty of 1960, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood
Qureshi said on Monday.
Qureshi made the remarks during a meeting with Indus
Waters Commissioner Syed Jamaat Ali Shah, who met him to brief
him about the meeting of the Permanent Indus Waters Commission
to be held in India later this month.
Shah and Qureshi also discussed issues related to water
and implementation of the Indus Waters Treaty.
Qureshi said the Indus Waters Treaty had been an
"effective arrangement between the two countries" and it is
important that the pact is adhered to in letter and spirit,
said a statement issued by the Foreign Office.
Differences over the sharing of river waters have emerged
as a major irritant in relations between India and Pakistan in
the past few years.
Pakistan has accused India of diverting its share of
waters by building dams and projects on rivers in Jammu and
India has denied the charges.
Reports have said that Pakistan intends to approach the
International Court of Arbitration to halt the construction of
the Kishanganga project on the grounds that it violated the
Indus Waters Treaty.
However, Qureshi has in recent weeks also called for
better utilisation of Pakistan’s water resources, saying that
34 million acre feet of water are wasted due to mismanagement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you