Seven killed as violence spreads across Karachi
Karachi: At least seven people were killed in different firing incidents here in Pakistan`s biggest metropolis as violence spread following killing of a senior member of the Awami National Party (ANP).
Police confirmed that at least seven people were killed in firing incidents in city`s Gulistan-e-Johar area with the violence blowing up after the news of Liaquat Bangash`s death spread.
Five people, including two policemen, were also injured in the firing incidents in the area.
The ANP alleged that Bangash was tortured and killed by police and the paramilitary rangers after they raided his house. Bangash was arrested a year back by Crime Investigation Department (CID).
He had more than 12 cases registered against him and had been released just a few days ago.
A heavy contingent of rangers and police was deployed in the area who managed to arrest two of the civilians responsible for the firing incidents.
The death toll in the ongoing bout of violence in the city has risen to 46.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre