Seven killed in firing at political rally in Pak
Islamabad: At least seven persons were killed and 10 others injured when unidentified gunmen opened fire at a rally on Monday in Sindh province that was being addressed by senior Pakistan People`s Party leader Nafisa Shah, officials said.
Shah, the daughter of Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah, escaped unhurt when the gunmen began firing at the rally in Khairpur area of Sindh this evening.
"Nafisa Shah is unhurt but seven others were killed including a local journalist while three other reporters were also injured in the firing," a senior police official said.
The motive behind the attack could not immediately be ascertained. Several local leaders of the PPP were present at the rally.
Witnesses and official told TV news channels that a journalist was among the injured.
Shah is a member of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament and a former mayor of Khairpur district.
She is a campaigner for the rights of women and a member of several parliamentary committees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital