Seven killed in firing at political rally in Pak
Islamabad: At least seven persons were killed and 10 others injured when unidentified gunmen opened fire at a rally on Monday in Sindh province that was being addressed by senior Pakistan People`s Party leader Nafisa Shah, officials said.
Shah, the daughter of Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah, escaped unhurt when the gunmen began firing at the rally in Khairpur area of Sindh this evening.
"Nafisa Shah is unhurt but seven others were killed including a local journalist while three other reporters were also injured in the firing," a senior police official said.
The motive behind the attack could not immediately be ascertained. Several local leaders of the PPP were present at the rally.
Witnesses and official told TV news channels that a journalist was among the injured.
Shah is a member of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament and a former mayor of Khairpur district.
She is a campaigner for the rights of women and a member of several parliamentary committees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok