Seven killed in firing at political rally in Pak
Islamabad: At least seven persons were killed and 10 others injured when unidentified gunmen opened fire at a rally on Monday in Sindh province that was being addressed by senior Pakistan People`s Party leader Nafisa Shah, officials said.
Shah, the daughter of Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah, escaped unhurt when the gunmen began firing at the rally in Khairpur area of Sindh this evening.
"Nafisa Shah is unhurt but seven others were killed including a local journalist while three other reporters were also injured in the firing," a senior police official said.
The motive behind the attack could not immediately be ascertained. Several local leaders of the PPP were present at the rally.
Witnesses and official told TV news channels that a journalist was among the injured.
Shah is a member of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament and a former mayor of Khairpur district.
She is a campaigner for the rights of women and a member of several parliamentary committees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Google unveils Android Nougat for Nexus devices
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case