Seven Taliban militants gunned down in Swat
Peshawar: Pakistan security forces gunned
down seven Taliban fighters who were fleeing a military
operation in the restive tribal belt in the Swat valley in the
country`s northwest, officials said Monday.
The militants were killed when they opened fire after
being challenged by troops manning a security check post along
the boundary of Dir and Swat districts of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
The security forces had received a tip-off that
militants were fleeing a military operation in Bajaur tribal
region and trying to enter Swat via rugged mountainous routes
in Dir district.
Troops tightened security in areas bordering Bajaur
and intensified checking.
Officials said troops had killed 27 militants in Swat
during the past four days.
In a separate development, Brigadier Muhammad Zubair,
the commander of troops in the Kabal region of Swat, gave
militants 10 days to surrender and face trial in court.
He warned that their properties would be confiscated
if they did not lay down their arms.
Addressing a tribal peace jirga at a security forces
camp in Kanju, Zubair announced the annulment of security
passes issued to residents of Kabal.
No reduction will be made in the strength of security
forces in Swat, he said.
"The absconding militants have one option - to
surrender in 10 days. In case of compliance, their lives will
be protected and they will be tried in a court of law.
"The operation against the militants would continue
till their total elimination," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened