`Several Hindus kidnapped for ransom in Pakistan`
Islamabad: Santosh Kumar Bugti, a minority leader of the Pakistan Muslim League-N, has said that several members of the Hindu community have been abducted for ransom in the country as he sought early recovery of an abducted leading Hindu spiritual leader.
Addressing a press conference in Quetta, Bugti appealed to all tribal leaders and elders to play their role in recovering Lakki Chand Garji, the kidnapped Hindu spiritual leader of Balochistan.
Eighty two-year-old Lakki Chand Garji, who is the `maharaja` of the Kali Mata Mandir in Kalat town in Balochistan province, is considered to be one of Pakistan`s most revered Hindu spiritual leaders. He was kidnapped by a gang of armed men December 21.
The daily Dawn reported on Thursday that leaders of the Hindu community, including Dewan Chand, Anil Kumar and Bhajan Lal, attended the press conference.
Criticising the provincial government, Bugti said it had failed to protect the life and property of the people as kidnapping for ransom has become common.
He said that several members of the Hindu community have been kidnapped for ransom, and none of them has been recovered by police.
"The families of kidnapped people paid huge ransom to get their relatives freed," Bugti was quoted as saying.
He said that shops and homes of the Hindu community have been robbed. They are facing kidnapping for ransom for a long time and they now feel insecure in their own province.
"No one has contacted (Garji`s) family and other people of the Hindu community so far," said Bugti.
Lakki Chand Garji has been the `maharaja` at the Kali Mata Mandir for the past 60 years and he has command over many languages, including Balochi, Hindi, Sindhi, Persian and Brahavi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert