Sex scandal rocks Bangladesh university campus
Dhaka, July 31: Angry students of a state-run university in Bangladesh held hostage its Vice-Chancellor and seven other professors for nearly 20 hours demanding sacking of a teacher accused of sexually harassing four girl students.
About 500 students of Jahangirnagar University besieged the administrative building where the university syndicate members were meeting to discuss formulation and implementation of a policy against sexual harassment.
However, the students released Professor Mohammad Moniruzzaman and others late last night after confining them for about 20 hours, police and witnesses on Thursday said, adding the demonstrations continued overnight.
The protesters set an ultimatum of August 5 to meet their demands of sacking Dramatics teacher Sanwar Hossain and also for implementation of a policy against sexual harassment.
"We could keep them confined for a longer period, but freed them in view of the health condition of elderly members on the syndicate ... We will intensify the movement if the authorities ignore the ultimatum," said a student leader as riot police kept a sharp vigil outside the campus.
Meanwhile, the university authorities banned processions and meetings on the campus and issued a notification saying "the confinement (of staff) has affected law and order".
Authorities also ordered reinforcement of police in the campus to stave off any further trouble.
The students have long been demanding action against teacher Hossain on complaints lodged by four girl students that he sexually harassed them.
Earlier in February 2007, the syndicate had dismissed another teacher Golam Mostafa for alleged sexual harassment of a student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth