Sex scandal rocks Bangladesh university campus
Dhaka, July 31: Angry students of a state-run university in Bangladesh held hostage its Vice-Chancellor and seven other professors for nearly 20 hours demanding sacking of a teacher accused of sexually harassing four girl students.
About 500 students of Jahangirnagar University besieged the administrative building where the university syndicate members were meeting to discuss formulation and implementation of a policy against sexual harassment.
However, the students released Professor Mohammad Moniruzzaman and others late last night after confining them for about 20 hours, police and witnesses on Thursday said, adding the demonstrations continued overnight.
The protesters set an ultimatum of August 5 to meet their demands of sacking Dramatics teacher Sanwar Hossain and also for implementation of a policy against sexual harassment.
"We could keep them confined for a longer period, but freed them in view of the health condition of elderly members on the syndicate ... We will intensify the movement if the authorities ignore the ultimatum," said a student leader as riot police kept a sharp vigil outside the campus.
Meanwhile, the university authorities banned processions and meetings on the campus and issued a notification saying "the confinement (of staff) has affected law and order".
Authorities also ordered reinforcement of police in the campus to stave off any further trouble.
The students have long been demanding action against teacher Hossain on complaints lodged by four girl students that he sexually harassed them.
Earlier in February 2007, the syndicate had dismissed another teacher Golam Mostafa for alleged sexual harassment of a student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP