Shahbaz Sharif lauds Guru Nanak Dev
Lahore: Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz
Sharif on Thursday lauded Guru Nanak, saying he had devoted his life
to spreading the message of inter-religion harmony and
The founder of the Sikh religion was a symbol of
simplicity who had great respect for Muslim saints and Sufis,
including Baba Farid and Hazrat Mian Mir Sahib who are revered
by Pakistanis, Sharif told a seminar organised here to mark
the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak.
He said Guru Nanak travelled to several holy places,
including Makkah, Madina and Baghdad to promote inter-religion
harmony and this showed his respect for Islam.
Guru Nanak`s teachings focused on enhancing unity,
peace and tolerance among people of different religions, he
Quoting one of the teachings of Guru Nanak, Sharif
said the religious leader had once said the soul is the mother
and water is the father and life is not complete without these
two important elements.
Sharif described water as a necessary factor to keep
Pakistan progressing and said the shortage of water in
agricultural fields can cause many hardships.
It is in the larger interest of Pakistan and India to
find an amicable solution to water problems to ensure progress
and prosperity in the region, he said.
The Punjab government has taken several measures to
provide facilities to Sikh pilgrims who visit Pakistan, he
"We will welcome you in the same spirit in future as
well as by showing similar hospitality," he said.
Evacuee Trust Property Board Chairman Syed Asif
Hashmi, Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee leader
Sardar Manmohan Singh Khalsa Sardar and several Indian Sikhs
also spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur