Shahbaz Sharif lauds Guru Nanak Dev
Lahore: Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz
Sharif on Thursday lauded Guru Nanak, saying he had devoted his life
to spreading the message of inter-religion harmony and
The founder of the Sikh religion was a symbol of
simplicity who had great respect for Muslim saints and Sufis,
including Baba Farid and Hazrat Mian Mir Sahib who are revered
by Pakistanis, Sharif told a seminar organised here to mark
the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak.
He said Guru Nanak travelled to several holy places,
including Makkah, Madina and Baghdad to promote inter-religion
harmony and this showed his respect for Islam.
Guru Nanak`s teachings focused on enhancing unity,
peace and tolerance among people of different religions, he
Quoting one of the teachings of Guru Nanak, Sharif
said the religious leader had once said the soul is the mother
and water is the father and life is not complete without these
two important elements.
Sharif described water as a necessary factor to keep
Pakistan progressing and said the shortage of water in
agricultural fields can cause many hardships.
It is in the larger interest of Pakistan and India to
find an amicable solution to water problems to ensure progress
and prosperity in the region, he said.
The Punjab government has taken several measures to
provide facilities to Sikh pilgrims who visit Pakistan, he
"We will welcome you in the same spirit in future as
well as by showing similar hospitality," he said.
Evacuee Trust Property Board Chairman Syed Asif
Hashmi, Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee leader
Sardar Manmohan Singh Khalsa Sardar and several Indian Sikhs
also spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Pakistan in August for SAARC meet
- Dope scandal: Narsingh Yadav's Rio Olympics fate hangs in balance as NADA set to pronounce verdict today
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today