Shahbaz Sharif to be Pak Punjab Chief Minister again
Lahore: The PML-N will retain Shahbaz Sharif as Chief Minister of Punjab for a record fourth term, after briefly toying with the idea of giving him a slot in the federal government.
Shahbaz, 61, the younger brother of PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, is widely credited for successfully implementing several development programmes during his last tenure, including a metro bus mass transit system in the provincial capital of Lahore that transports over 100,000 people every day.
The PML-N has bagged 212 of the 297 directly elected seats in the Punjab Assembly in the May 11 polls and is comfortably placed to form the government in Pakistan`s politically crucial and most populous province.
This time round, Punjab will have a very weak opposition as both the Pakistan People`s Party and Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf fared poorly in the province.
PML-N insiders had earlier hinted that Shahbaz could be made Power Minister in the federal government to tackle Pakistan`s energy crisis.
Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, a PML-N stalwart, was reported to be in the race for the Chief Minister`s slot and he even contested for two seats in the Punjab Assembly as a party candidate and as an independent.
Khan won both the provincial seats but is now expected to give them up as he has also been elected to the National Assembly.
Shahbaz`s son Hamza Shahbaz too was considered for the post of Chief Minister before the PML-N`s top leadership decided to stick with his father, sources said.
One PML-N insider, who did not want to be named, said Nawaz Sharif could not take chances by handing over the affairs of Punjab to someone outside the family.
Besides, the rising popularity of Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf has forced the party to continue with Shahbaz as Chief Minister as he would ensure the PML-N does not lose any ground to Imran Khan`s party, the insider said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17