Shahbaz Taseer kidnapping: Four suspects held
Lahore: Pakistani police have arrested four
suspects in connection with the kidnapping of Shahbaz Taseer,
the son of slain Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer, police
officials said on Saturday.
The four suspects, identified only as Javed, Vikki,
Sarwar and Ijaz, were picked up from the slums of Gulberg in
Lahore late on Friday night, police spokesman Niyab Haider
The suspects are being interrogated by policemen who were
investigating the abduction.
He denied that the Taseer family and police were
negotiating with the kidnappers.
"The kidnappers have not yet contacted the family,"
Shahbaz Taseer, 27, was kidnapped by armed men near his
office in Gulberg on August 26.
Five other suspects detained earlier by police have been
released as nothing was established against them, officials
Police had also taken into custody some associates of
Mumtaz Qadri, the police guard who gunned down Governor
Salmaan Taseer, but it could not be ascertained whether they
had been released.
Though investigators said they had not got any clues from
the suspects, they believe Qadri`s case was in some way linked
to the kidnapping.
Seven police teams are working in collaboration with
intelligence agencies on different leads in the case but have
not had any success so far.
Salmaan Taseer was gunned down by his guard in Islamabad
on January 4.
Qadri later confessed that he had killed the Punjab
Governor for opposing the controversial blasphemy law.
Religious and extremist groups had issued warnings to
both the courts and the government not to convict Qadri,
saying he had done something "commendable" by killing a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Flipkart irks IIM Ahmedabad over delayed joining date, offers poor compensation for late joining
- Acting gives me a kick: Radhika Apte
- Beware! Artificial sweeteners may harm your health
- Modi government offers auction for 46 oil and gas fields through international bidding
- Consultation paper on internet telephony in a month: TRAI