Shahbaz Taseer still remains untraceable
Lahore: Eight days after the abduction of Shahbaz Taseer, son of slain former Punjab governor Salman Taseer, police have failed to trace him and the group behind his kidnapping.
Taseer was kidnapped in Gulberg area of Lahore a week ago. The police launched raids and search operations to find him but without any success. The police also arrested two suspects but both of them were released later, a daily newspaper reported.
The Chief Minister of Punjab Shahbaz Sharif had ordered the Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Lahore to find Taseer.
The CCPO has vowed to look into the matter himself but without any success.
The kidnappers have still not contacted his relatives nor have they made any demands, the report said, adding that according to police sources, the matter is in slow progress due to Eid holidays of the police staff.
At least 12 suspects had earlier been taken into custody in Pakistan.
The suspects included the people, who recently had met Taseer`s assassin Mumtaz Qadri in Adiala Jail, Rawalpindi.
The Taseer family had been receiving threats, since the killing of the Governor in January this year at the hands of his own security guard Qadri of Elite Force.
Shahbaz, who was primarily looking after the business affairs of the family, had got married to the daughter of a top bureaucrat of Punjab government over a year ago.
The Taseer family was also reportedly planning to quit the country after selling its businesses in Pakistan.
Confessing to his crime, Qadri had then said, he had killed Salmaan Taseer for "committing blasphemy." A case against him was underway in Anti-Terrorism Court.
Religious extremist groups had warned the court and the government against convicting Qadri, claiming that he had done a "commendable job by killing a blasphemer."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next