Islamabad: The call record of slain
Pakistani journalist Syed Saleem Shahzad`s cellular phone has been erased, with the log of the 18 days before his abduction
and murder being wiped out from the system, a media report
The last call made by Shahzad that is reflected in the
log was on May 12, seventeen days before his abduction on May
29, according to data obtained by The Express Tribune
Hamza Ameer, the brother-in-law of the slain
journalist, said he had found Shahzad`s mobile phone switched
off when he tried to contact him at 5:42 pm on May 29.
Shahzad made his last call, according to the data, on
May 12 near a cell phone tower installed atop a bank in
Islamabad`s Blue Area.
Shahzad, according to the cellular phone data, was in
Islamabad between May 1 and May 12.
A close friend of Shahzad told reporters that he had been
able to call the slain journalist`s mobile phone early on May
30 but the call was disconnected after several rings.
Shahzad, who worked for Hong Kong-based Asia Times Online and Italian news agency Adnkronos International, was
abducted shortly after he alleged in an article that al Qaeda
had infiltrated the Pakistan Navy.
Journalists` groups and rights organisations have said
they suspect Shahzad was picked up by intelligence operatives
but the Inter-Services Intelligence has denied it was in any
way involved in his kidnapping and murder.