Shakil Afridi a traitor: Rehman Malik
Islamabad: In a description that will surely irk the US, Pakistan`s Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Friday called Pakistani doctor Shakil Afridi, who helped CIA track Osama bin Laden, a ‘traitor’, a report said on Friday.
The 33-year jail term to Afridi has created outrage in the US with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton calling it "unjust and unwarranted" and a Senate panel voting to cut aid to Islamabad.
"We are raising it and we will continue to do so because we think that his treatment is unjust and unwarranted," Hillary told reporters during a joint press conference with the visiting New Zealand Foreign Minister Murray McCully.
However, Pakistan on Thursday rejected US criticism over jailing Afridi, saying Washington should respect decisions of the country`s courts.
Shakil Afridi ran a fake vaccination campaign to get DNA sample of the children of al Qaeda chief in Abbottabad.
The US reacted angrily to the Pakistani court`s verdict and said Pakistan has no basis to hold or charge the surgeon.
During a press briefing, Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Ahmad Khan said the case of Afridi would be decided in accordance with Pakistani laws and by the Pakistan Courts.
In fact, Pakistan People’s Party chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has also justified the prosecution of Shakil Afridi, saying it is against the law in any country to cooperate with foreign intelligence.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!