Sharif asks son-in-law to be included in assault probe
Lahore: Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif on Wednesday directed authorities to include his son-in-law in an investigation into the assault of an employee of a bakery by policemen assigned to guard his daughter.
Policemen and private guards assigned to protect Sharif`s daughter Rabia Imran and son-in-law Ali Imran Yousuf assaulted a worker at a bakery who refused to serve Rabia on October 7.
Sharif was forced to direct authorities to register a case against the errant personnel after TV news channels aired CCTV footage of the assault.
The Chief Minister has been facing considerable pressure on the issue as the CCTV footage clearly showed his daughter threatening the employee inside the bakery in the posh Defence neighbourhood.
Punjab Governor Latif Khosa, who belongs to the Pakistan People`s Party, said the Chief Minister`s daughter had become the "Pholan Devi" of Pakistan`s Punjab province.
"The Chief Minister`s daughter is a Phoolan Devi of Punjab. Shahbaz Sharif is not a Khadim-e-Ala but Hakim-e-Ala of the province," he said.
Following allegations from political parties that Sharif was trying to save his daughter and son-in-law, the Chief Minister today directed authorities to include Yousuf in the investigation.
Yousuf told the media he would fully cooperate in the probe.
Police had yesterday arrested seven personnel of the Elite Force and a private guard who were part of the security detail for Sharif`s daughter and son-in-law.
A judicial magistrate today granted bail to the eight men against surety bonds of Rs 40,000 each.
The bakery`s CCTV cameras showed Rabia Imran berating the worker after he refused to serve her as the bakery was closed.
The footage clearly showed her pointing her finger in a threatening manner at the employee several times.
After the hijab-wearing woman left the shop, her private security guards and police escort returned after some time and beat the worker on the pavement outside the bakery.
The footage showed some men in plainclothes, flanked by Elite Force personnel, calling the young man out of the bakery and punching him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!