Sharif demands Musharraf be put on trial for treason
Islamabad: The Nawaz Sharif-led Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) has issued a 16-point chargesheet against former president Pervez Musharraf, demanding that the former president be brought back through Interpol and tried under Article 06 of the Constitution, a TV channel has reported.
According to the channel, the 10-page document also made seven demands from the government, asking it to take action against Musharraf, the Daily Times reported.
The former general had toppled the elected government on October 12, 1999, the PML-N noted, while holding him responsible for killing 800 soldiers in the Kargil operation.
The chargesheet also accused the APML founder of targeting people politically by using the National Accountability Bureau (NAB), murder of Akbar Bugti, making false cases against the Baloch leadership, kidnapping of thousands of Baloch political workers, abduction of Pakistanis for other countries, corruption, the Lal Masjid operation, the May 12 incident, bombing at Karsaaz in October 2007, National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) and participating in elections donning the Army uniform.
According to the channel, the sheet also demanded the government to sentence Musharraf for his actions against the media. The former ruler had attacked the judiciary during his tenure by imposing emergency and violating the Constitution, it noted, and alleged that the 67-year-old was also involved in a stock exchange scam, imposition of martial law against the Constitution, waging war against his own people, and illegal recruitments in the PIA, NHA and OGDCL.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed