Sharif demands Musharraf be put on trial for treason
Islamabad: The Nawaz Sharif-led Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) has issued a 16-point chargesheet against former president Pervez Musharraf, demanding that the former president be brought back through Interpol and tried under Article 06 of the Constitution, a TV channel has reported.
According to the channel, the 10-page document also made seven demands from the government, asking it to take action against Musharraf, the Daily Times reported.
The former general had toppled the elected government on October 12, 1999, the PML-N noted, while holding him responsible for killing 800 soldiers in the Kargil operation.
The chargesheet also accused the APML founder of targeting people politically by using the National Accountability Bureau (NAB), murder of Akbar Bugti, making false cases against the Baloch leadership, kidnapping of thousands of Baloch political workers, abduction of Pakistanis for other countries, corruption, the Lal Masjid operation, the May 12 incident, bombing at Karsaaz in October 2007, National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) and participating in elections donning the Army uniform.
According to the channel, the sheet also demanded the government to sentence Musharraf for his actions against the media. The former ruler had attacked the judiciary during his tenure by imposing emergency and violating the Constitution, it noted, and alleged that the 67-year-old was also involved in a stock exchange scam, imposition of martial law against the Constitution, waging war against his own people, and illegal recruitments in the PIA, NHA and OGDCL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes