Sharif demands Musharraf be put on trial for treason
Islamabad: The Nawaz Sharif-led Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) has issued a 16-point chargesheet against former president Pervez Musharraf, demanding that the former president be brought back through Interpol and tried under Article 06 of the Constitution, a TV channel has reported.
According to the channel, the 10-page document also made seven demands from the government, asking it to take action against Musharraf, the Daily Times reported.
The former general had toppled the elected government on October 12, 1999, the PML-N noted, while holding him responsible for killing 800 soldiers in the Kargil operation.
The chargesheet also accused the APML founder of targeting people politically by using the National Accountability Bureau (NAB), murder of Akbar Bugti, making false cases against the Baloch leadership, kidnapping of thousands of Baloch political workers, abduction of Pakistanis for other countries, corruption, the Lal Masjid operation, the May 12 incident, bombing at Karsaaz in October 2007, National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) and participating in elections donning the Army uniform.
According to the channel, the sheet also demanded the government to sentence Musharraf for his actions against the media. The former ruler had attacked the judiciary during his tenure by imposing emergency and violating the Constitution, it noted, and alleged that the 67-year-old was also involved in a stock exchange scam, imposition of martial law against the Constitution, waging war against his own people, and illegal recruitments in the PIA, NHA and OGDCL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes