Sharif donates $100,000 for Commonwealth youth development
Colombo: Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has announced a special donation of $100,000 to the newly established Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC) to fund the youth-led development projects of the CYC in its early years, official sources said Sunday.
Prime Minister Sharif is here attending the ongoing Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM), which runs from Friday through Sunday, Xinhua reported.
The CYC was formally launched during the Ninth Commonwealth Youth Forum held on the margins of the Commonwealth leaders` summit. It will serve as the representative voice of 1.2 billion young people in the 53-member Commonwealth.
It will also provide a framework for youth-led development initiatives, which cover global efforts to deal with climate change, according to news.lk, the official government news portal of Sri Lanka.
Sharif said that climate change was a defining reality of the times and called for a multi-pronged and revitalised global partnership for generating the needed financing to confront its effects.
In this regard, he proposed the formation of global policies to motivate the private sector, enhance availability of grants and soft loans to the public sector and early operation of the Green Climate Fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27