Sharif govt has given "good signals": India
New Delhi: India on Friday said the Nawaz Sharif government in Pakistan has given `good signals" in normalizing bilateral ties but cautioned against expecting "magic overnight".
"With the new government (in Pakistan), good signals have been given by them. But I don`t think we should expect magic overnight", External Affair Minister Salman Khurshid said, apparently referring to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif`s pledge to "progressively pursue" normalisation of ties with India.
"I think we should wait for a little more time and give (them) little more time to show what they (Pakistan) are able to do and what they are capable of doing," Khurshid told reporters on the sidelines of the opening of ASEAN-India Centre at Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS) here.
"Government of India is engaged in both keeping track of what was happening in Pakistan and also ensuring that the channels of communication remains open in our interest," he said.
Earlier, while addressing the gathering, he said the ASEAN-India Strategic Partnership has strong foundations of shared civilisational bonds, a recent history of common effort towards economic growth and prosperity and a common future that has to be secured not just within the new security and economic architecture of the Asia Pacific but also the Indo-Pacific.
He said that over the last few years, "our region has seen a multiplicity of stakeholders and a fraternity of purpose for tackling common challenges.
"We need to build an architecture that contributes to the geo-strategic importance of the region to global processes and, most importantly, secures economic growth and prosperity for the people in our countries. This is the strength of the ASEAN-India Strategic Partnership as an anchor of stability from the western confines of the Indian Ocean to the shores of the Pacific, from the Straits of Hormuz to the Straits of Malacca," he said.
Khurshid said ASEAN-India relations has "achieved very clear achievements" across the three pillars of political and security cooperation, economic integration and socio-cultural exchanges.
Capacity building, development, economic growth and peace and stability have been the characteristics of the ASEAN-India partnership. The numerous projects under finalisation as per the Plan of Action for 2010-2015 are set to bring a qualitative enhancement in our partnership, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27