Sharif not to contest parliamentary by-elections: PML-N
Lahore: Pakistan’s main opposition PML-N has announced that its chief Nawaz Sharif will not contest upcoming by-elections to the parliament, setting aside widespread speculation on whether the former premier planned to return to electoral politics.
The PML-N said Pervez Malik, the brother of former Attorney General Malik Qayyum, will be the party’s candidate for by-polls to a National Assembly constituency in Lahore next month.
"Nawaz Sharif wants to award the ticket to a party
worker and this is the only reason he is not contesting the
election," Rana Sanaullah, a senior PML-N leader and Law
Minister of Punjab province, told agency today.
Sanaullah dismissed media reports that an agreement
between Sharif and former military ruler Pervez Musharraf that
was brokered by Saudi Arabia was the reason behind the PML-N’s
Saudi Arabia brokered the pact to allow Sharif to go
into exile after his government was overthrown by Musharraf in
a military coup in 1999.
It is said that under the agreement, Sharif cannot
participate in polls till October 2010.
The Jamaat-e-Isalami, PML-Q and former cricketer Imran
Khan’s Tehrik-e-Insaf party have also fielded candidates for
the by-polls. The Pakistan People’s Party will support the
According to PML-N insiders, Sharif decided not to
take part in the by-polls after lengthy consultation with
party leaders and workers.
Senior party leaders were of the view that Sharif
would not be in a better position to play his cards once he
became a member of the National Assembly or lower house of
"In fact, Nawaz Sharif cannot be the Leader of
Opposition in the National Assembly or a mere parliamentarian.
It will be good for both his political career and the party to
continue mounting pressure on the PPP-led coalition government
from outside parliament," a senior PML-N leader said on
condition of anonymity.
Several opinion polls have shown that the two-time
former premier is currently Pakistan’s most popular leader.
Analysts believe the PML-N will win the country’s next
"Since the PML-N’s outspoken leaders at the centre
like Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, Ahsan Iqbal and Khwaja Asif
leave no opportunity to embarrass the PPP-led government, the
PML-N sees no reason to send Nawaz Sharif to the parliament,"
the senior PML-N leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'