Sharif prepared for conditional support to PPP-led govt
Lahore: Main opposition PML-N chief Nawaz
Sharif Thursday said his party would be prepared to support the
Pakistan People`s Party-led government if President Asif Ali
Zardari implemented the Charter of Democracy finalised by the
two parties in 2006.
"All is not lost and the fate of the people of
Pakistan can still be ameliorated.
We are ready to support the ruling PPP if President
Zardari implements the CoD," former premier Sharif said while
talking to reporters here.
His remarks came in the wake of the Jamiat
Ulema-e-Islam`s decision to pull out of the PPP-led coalition
at the centre following the sacking of one of its ministers by
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
Sharif said he had written a letter to the President
about fighting corruption and implementing the CoD but Zardari
had not yet responded to it.
He said any meeting between him and the President on
the sidelines of an official banquet for the visiting Chinese
Premier in Islamabad on Saturday would be "futile" till such
issues were addressed.
He also made it clear that the PML-N would not be part
of any "unconstitutional and undemocratic" effort to topple
the PPP-led government.
"Dictators go in for unconstitutional ways to oust
We will not prefer personal interests over national
interests just to please some people," he said.
Sharif said it was regrettable that the PPP had agreed
to form a truth commission for transparent accountability but
had later presented a guard of honour to a dictator like
former President Pervez Musharraf when he quit office in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why