Sharif wants Pak Army to file treason suit against Mush
Lahore: Attacking former president General Pervez Musharraf for violating the Constitution and impeding the judicial system of the country, Pakistan Muslim League- Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif has urged the armed forces not to obstruct the former general’s trial.
“The military should cut its ties with Musharraf and should itself file a lawsuit against him,” Sharif said.
Speaking at an Independence Day function at the Aiwan-i-Karkunan-i-Pakistan, Sharif said all those who had abrogated the Constitution, damaged the judiciary and arrested judges must be punished.
“If a violator of a traffic signal can be penalised, why a person who violated the basic law of the land should go scot-free,” Sharif said.
He said government should not hesitate to initiate a high treason case against Musharraf, and that there was no need for a unanimous resolution in Parliament for that purpose.
“The talk of his (Musharraf’s) accountability in parliament must not send shivers down the spine of anyone,” Sharif added.
The former prime minister said he was not involved in the 1999 Kargil war’s planning, saying the then army chief did not consult him before sending troops to infiltrate into India.
“I accepted responsibility for the misadventure to rescue the country and the military, but in return I was ousted from power and put in solitary detention before being exiled,” Sharif said.
Sharif urged the political leaders to follow the guidelines of father of the nation, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, and work together for country’s development.
“It is our responsibility to revive the spirit of national unity and follow the Quaid-e-Azam’s guiding principles of unity, faith and discipline,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said
- Nintendo's Mario eyes a Mickey Mouse merchandising makeover
- Hepatitis prevention: Protect your liver with these useful tips
- PROMO alert! Hrithik Roshan as Sarman in 'Mohenjo Daro' —Watch now
- Salim Khan recalls Rajesh Khanna’s stardom, responds to Naseeruddin Shah’s ‘bitter’ remarks about first superstar