Sharif's brother in China amid political turmoil
Lahore: Amid deepening political crisis in Pakistan, Punjab province Chief Minister and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's brother Shahbaz has left for China with reports suggesting that he may seek Beijing's support for the embattled PML-N government.
Shahbaz left for China late last night to hold meetings over Chinese investments in the province.
However, reports said he has gone to get support for his brother's PML-N government which is under pressure from the protesters led by Imran Khan and cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri.
"Shahbaz will ask China to play its role in saving the PML-N government," a PML-N leader said on condition of anonymity.
China and Pakistan both consider each other "all weather" allies.
Political stalemate in Pakistan has continued for the last 13 days with Khan-led Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) and Qadri's Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) refusing to budge from their demand of the Prime Minister's resignation over allegations of rigging in last year's general election and killing of 14 PAT supporters in Lahore on June 17.
Qadri, who gave a 48-hour ultimatum to Sharif yesterday to step down, warned today that either the government steps down in 23 hours, or blood would be spilled.
"The Sharif brothers should face capital punishment for their crimes," Qadri said while addressing his supporters.
Thousands of Khan and Qadri supporters are camped out outside the Parliament in Islamabad's "Red Zone" since last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak
- It's Official! LG V20 to be world’s first phone with Android 7.0 Nougat