Sheikh Hasina sworn in as Bangladesh`s Prime Minister
Dhaka: Sheikh Hasina was on Sunday sworn in as Bangladesh`s prime minister for the third time along with her 48-member cabinet after the controversial polls that were marred by deadly clashes, a low turnout and a boycott by opposition parties.
President Abdul Hamid administered the oath - first to Hasina - at the Bangabhavan presidential palace here in a ceremony attended by government and top military officials, foreign envoys, politicians and civil society leaders.
"I am, Sheikh Hasina, taking oath...That I will discharge my duties faithfully as the prime minister of the government as per the law," Hasina said amid claps from the audience.
66-year-old Hasina`s cabinet was also sworn into office during the nationally-televised ceremony. The new cabinet comprises 48 members.
Hasina has 29 full ministers, 17 state ministers, and 2 deputy ministers, few from Ershad-led Jatiya Party which plans to sit in the opposition but also have a presence in the Cabinet.
This is the third time she takes over as the premier in the last two decades since Bangladesh returned to democracy from military rule.
She is seeking to reward all parties who joined the January 5 polls, braving a boycott by the BNP-led opposition alliance.
Hasina`s party, Awami League, clinched a landslide victory in the parliamentary election, bagging 231 seats in the face of a boycott of the polls by the BNP-led 18-party opposition alliance.
At least 21 people were killed in poll-related violence during the "one-sided" elections. Most voters had preferred to stay home during the January 5 polls in 147 out of 300 constituencies in 59 districts.
Awami League won 231 seats, of which 127 seats were uncontested, giving it a clear three-fourths majority in the country`s 10th parliament.
The 18-party alliance led by former premier Khaleda Zia`s Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) boycotted the polls after her arch-rival Hasina rejected the opposition`s demand for a neutral caretaker regime for election oversight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister