Sheikh Mujib reinstated as Dhaka University student
Dhaka: The Dhaka University has made amends for what it called a "mistake" made in 1949, as it reinstated Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman as a student of the varsity, from where he was expelled for leading a movement seeking a hike in wages for low-paid workers.
Bangladesh founder Sheikh Mujib enrolled in the law department in 1948 and was expelled in 1949 for supporting the fourth grade employees` cause.
"A mistake can be fixed even after 100 years, and we have done it," Vice-Chancellor AAMS Arefin Siddique said.
The Dhaka University Syndicate at an emergency meeting yesterday withdrew the expulsion order of the architect of independence after 61 years, Bdnews 24 reported.
The university has withdrawn the expulsion "since participation of the students in the movement led by Bangabandhu was right, and the order to remove him and charge a fine was illogical," Siddique was quoted as saying.
The issue was brought to light recently by Bangladesh Unnayan Sangbadik Forum which sent a letter to President Zillur Rahman and the University VC, demanding the withdrawal of Mujib`s expulsion.
Sheikh Mujib, father of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, was the first president of independent Bangladesh and was assassinated with most of his family members in a coup in 1975.
Hasina survived the massacre as she was abroad at that time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror