Sheikh Mujib reinstated as Dhaka University student
Dhaka: The Dhaka University has made amends for what it called a "mistake" made in 1949, as it reinstated Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman as a student of the varsity, from where he was expelled for leading a movement seeking a hike in wages for low-paid workers.
Bangladesh founder Sheikh Mujib enrolled in the law department in 1948 and was expelled in 1949 for supporting the fourth grade employees` cause.
"A mistake can be fixed even after 100 years, and we have done it," Vice-Chancellor AAMS Arefin Siddique said.
The Dhaka University Syndicate at an emergency meeting yesterday withdrew the expulsion order of the architect of independence after 61 years, Bdnews 24 reported.
The university has withdrawn the expulsion "since participation of the students in the movement led by Bangabandhu was right, and the order to remove him and charge a fine was illogical," Siddique was quoted as saying.
The issue was brought to light recently by Bangladesh Unnayan Sangbadik Forum which sent a letter to President Zillur Rahman and the University VC, demanding the withdrawal of Mujib`s expulsion.
Sheikh Mujib, father of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, was the first president of independent Bangladesh and was assassinated with most of his family members in a coup in 1975.
Hasina survived the massacre as she was abroad at that time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!