Sherpa guides missing after avalanche in the Himalayas
Kathmandu: A veteran Nepalese guide who has climbed the Mt Everest 19 times is missing along with two others, after an avalanche hit their expedition in the Himalayas.
The veteran Sherpa guide, Chhewang Nima, 43, was accompanying a British expedition to the 7,130 m Mt Baruntse. Sources in the Nepal Mountaineering Association said two other Sherpa guides were also missing along with him.
They said an avalanche in the mountain hit the men who were fixing ropes near the summit. Other members of the expedition were reported to be safe.
A rescue team was dispatched on a helicopter today to look for the guides.
Nima has climbed Mt Everest 19 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...