Sherry blocks US Senator’s attempt to stop Pak aid
Washington: US Senator Rand Paul has been blocked from attaching an amendment to the farm bill that would withhold US aid to Pakistan.
The amendment would have stopped US aid to Pakistan until the country frees Dr Shakil Afridi, who was sentenced to 33 years of imprisonment after he was found ``guilty`` of helping the CIA track down al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, reports The Dawn.
In a difficult and volatile climate against Pakistan in the US Congress, getting worse each day with the NATO supply lines lying closed, this was seen as a very challenging task for the Pakistani embassy in Washington, states the paper.
Pakistani Ambassador Sherry Rehman was seen on the Capitol Hill all week, lobbying non-stop with US senators and staffers, to block the amendment.
Rehman and her senior colleagues were seen thanking all those who assisted behind-the-scenes in getting this important amendment blocked.
A Senate staffer said after July, when the election campaign goes into full gear, many more such amendments are expected, and will be practically impossible to block or defeat once they get tacked on to foreign assistance clauses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!