Sherry Rehman condemns murders of 3 Hindus
Islamabad: Former Pakistan’s Information and Broadcasting Minister and legislator Sherry Rehman has condemned the November 9 murder of three Hindu brothers in Shikarpur district, and moved an adjournment motion in the National Assembly against the act.
Three Hindu brothers, Dr Ajeet Kumar, Dr Naresh Kumar and Dr Ashok Kumar were killed on November 9 following an altercation with the Muslim Baban Khan Bhayo tribe over a dancing girl.
Rehman called on the Pakistan Government to probe the role of the local police in the incident who had earlier ignored the protection pleas of the victims, the Daily Times reports.
She stressed that Pakistan’s social and legislative framework needed to be overhauled completely to enable minorities and the disadvantaged secure their rights.
“This kind of open bias on the part of a state institution towards a minorities group not only amounts to violation of constitutional rights of minorities, it also creates mistrust over the state’s role as guarantor of a citizen’s protection,” Rehman said.
She added that the Chak‘s Station House Officer’s suspension was a weak response to the act, taking into account the heinous nature of this crime.
She further said the brutal killings were “a reflection of the fact that we as a majority are still silent in condoning the discrimination and rampant persecution of citizens based on their religious background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch