Shia leader from PPP gunned down in Pakistani action
Islamabad: A top Shia leader of Pakistan`s ruling PPP was shot dead by unidentified motorcycle-borne gunmen in Peshawar city in the country`s restive northwest Wednesday.
Syed Riaz Hussain Shah, who headed the PPP chapter in Kurram tribal region, was gunned down in Dabgari area of Peshawar this afternoon, authorities said.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though police officials and PPP insiders said they believed Shah was targeted by militants.
Kurram, a Shia-majority tribal district, has for long been troubled by clashes between rival Shia and Sunni tribesmen.
The two sides agreed to a ceasefire last year but the truce has been violated several times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site