Shia leader from PPP gunned down in Pakistani action
Islamabad: A top Shia leader of Pakistan`s ruling PPP was shot dead by unidentified motorcycle-borne gunmen in Peshawar city in the country`s restive northwest Wednesday.
Syed Riaz Hussain Shah, who headed the PPP chapter in Kurram tribal region, was gunned down in Dabgari area of Peshawar this afternoon, authorities said.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though police officials and PPP insiders said they believed Shah was targeted by militants.
Kurram, a Shia-majority tribal district, has for long been troubled by clashes between rival Shia and Sunni tribesmen.
The two sides agreed to a ceasefire last year but the truce has been violated several times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof