Shia leader from PPP gunned down in Pakistani action
Islamabad: A top Shia leader of Pakistan`s ruling PPP was shot dead by unidentified motorcycle-borne gunmen in Peshawar city in the country`s restive northwest Wednesday.
Syed Riaz Hussain Shah, who headed the PPP chapter in Kurram tribal region, was gunned down in Dabgari area of Peshawar this afternoon, authorities said.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though police officials and PPP insiders said they believed Shah was targeted by militants.
Kurram, a Shia-majority tribal district, has for long been troubled by clashes between rival Shia and Sunni tribesmen.
The two sides agreed to a ceasefire last year but the truce has been violated several times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister