Shia leader from PPP gunned down in Pakistani action
Islamabad: A top Shia leader of Pakistan`s ruling PPP was shot dead by unidentified motorcycle-borne gunmen in Peshawar city in the country`s restive northwest Wednesday.
Syed Riaz Hussain Shah, who headed the PPP chapter in Kurram tribal region, was gunned down in Dabgari area of Peshawar this afternoon, authorities said.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though police officials and PPP insiders said they believed Shah was targeted by militants.
Kurram, a Shia-majority tribal district, has for long been troubled by clashes between rival Shia and Sunni tribesmen.
The two sides agreed to a ceasefire last year but the truce has been violated several times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened