Shutdown affects normal life in Kathmandu for 2nd day
Kathmandu: Nepal saw a second day of shutdown on Thursday, this time due to a general strike called by Madhesi Peoples Rights Forum and fringe parties demanding formation of a Chief Justice-led election government at the earliest.
Yesterday, Nepal Federal People`s Republic Front led by CPN-Maoist, a breakaway faction of ruling UCPN-Maoist had called for a nationwide strike to oppose the move of major political parties to form a CJ-led election government.
Today, there were some vehicles plying on the roads of Kathmandu as compared to yesterday`s complete closure. Educational institutions and major markets remained closed.
The agitating groups have called the shutdown demanding the formation of election government at the earliest and elections for the Constituent Assembly.
Over three dozen cadres of the Rastriya Madhes Samajbadi Party were arrested in Kathmandu for enforcing the strike, sources said.
Meanwhile, the agitators vandalised a vehicle belonging to Mountain Television on the outskirt of the capital.
The strike had partial impact in the districts outside Kathmandu such as Chitwan, Bhairahawa, Rolpa and Inaruwa. Transportation along the highways has come to a halt.
The formation of the proposed Supreme Court Chief Justice Khil Raj Regmi-led Government could end the long political and constitutional deadlock in Nepal.
Last month, an advocate had filed a writ petition at the Supreme Court challenging the decision of four major political parties -- UCPN (Maoist), Nepali Congress (NC), CPN-UML and United Democratic Madhesi Front (UDMF) -- to form a government headed by the Chief Justice.
As a result, formation of the election government has been delayed further.
Nepal had plunged into a political and constitutional crisis after the Constituent Assembly was dissolved by Maoist Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai in May last year without drafting the Constitution.
The crisis further deepened as Bhattarai announced fresh elections in November 2012 but failed to conduct polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant