Siachen avalanche: Two bodies identified
Rawalpindi: Two bodies of soldiers found during the last 24 hours in the Siachen glacier`s Gayari sector have been identified as being those of Sepoy Nisar Hussain from Kawrdu Village, district Skardu and Sepoy Sajjad Kazmi from Chakaar, Muzaffarabad, Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
According to the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), with the recovery of the bodies of these two soldiers, the total number of bodies recovered so far from the avalanche that struck Gayari has reached 15, reports the Daily Times.
An avalanche in the Gayari sector buried 140 people, including 129 soldiers and 11 civilian employees, in the late hours of April 07, 2012.
More than 450 rescuers, including foreign teams, have been working in sub-zero temperatures at the site, digging tunnels into the mass of snow and ice in order to recover the bodies buried in the snow.
The Army had declared the soldiers and civilians martyrs after 52 days since the tragedy, and has vowed to continue the operation until all the bodies are recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened