Siachen avalanche: Two bodies identified
Rawalpindi: Two bodies of soldiers found during the last 24 hours in the Siachen glacier`s Gayari sector have been identified as being those of Sepoy Nisar Hussain from Kawrdu Village, district Skardu and Sepoy Sajjad Kazmi from Chakaar, Muzaffarabad, Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
According to the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), with the recovery of the bodies of these two soldiers, the total number of bodies recovered so far from the avalanche that struck Gayari has reached 15, reports the Daily Times.
An avalanche in the Gayari sector buried 140 people, including 129 soldiers and 11 civilian employees, in the late hours of April 07, 2012.
More than 450 rescuers, including foreign teams, have been working in sub-zero temperatures at the site, digging tunnels into the mass of snow and ice in order to recover the bodies buried in the snow.
The Army had declared the soldiers and civilians martyrs after 52 days since the tragedy, and has vowed to continue the operation until all the bodies are recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31