Siachen avalanche: Two bodies identified
Rawalpindi: Two bodies of soldiers found during the last 24 hours in the Siachen glacier`s Gayari sector have been identified as being those of Sepoy Nisar Hussain from Kawrdu Village, district Skardu and Sepoy Sajjad Kazmi from Chakaar, Muzaffarabad, Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
According to the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), with the recovery of the bodies of these two soldiers, the total number of bodies recovered so far from the avalanche that struck Gayari has reached 15, reports the Daily Times.
An avalanche in the Gayari sector buried 140 people, including 129 soldiers and 11 civilian employees, in the late hours of April 07, 2012.
More than 450 rescuers, including foreign teams, have been working in sub-zero temperatures at the site, digging tunnels into the mass of snow and ice in order to recover the bodies buried in the snow.
The Army had declared the soldiers and civilians martyrs after 52 days since the tragedy, and has vowed to continue the operation until all the bodies are recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP