Siege of Afghan court building kills at least 50
Kabul: In what was one of the deadliest attacks, Taliban militants on Wednesday rammed a vehicle laden with explosives and opened fire into a courthouse in Farah province in western Afghanistan, setting off a fierce battle with explosions and gunfire, that killed at least 50 and injured more than 90, according to BBC report.
The attack took place in the court when Taliban suspects were standing trial, reported the BBC.
The BBC mentioned an unconfirmed Taliban report saying that all those on trial had been freed.
After launching a suicide attack on the governor`s office, Taliban gunmen took positions in nearby multi-storey buildings and continued the gunfire.
Mohammad Yunos, Farah`s deputy governor said that the attack damaged many key high-rise establishments nearby that included the governor`s office, government and non-government offices and two banks, the BBC reported.
The province of Farah is located along the restive Iranian border. Last May also, there had been an attack on Governor`s compound in Farah, killing six policemen, a civilian and four attackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months