Sikh pilgrims` tents in Pakistan catches fire; no casualties
Islamabad: At least 20 tents of Sikh pilgrims were burnt to ashes in Pakistan`s Nankana Sahib city where they had gone to participate in the 542nd birth anniversary celebrations of Guru Nanak, a media report said on Saturday. No casualties were reported.
"Rescue officials and fire brigade have reached the spot and the situation is under control," Dunya TV reported adding that there was no loss of life or injury.
Regarding the cause of fire, there were conflicting reports. Some people on the spot said that the "tents caught fire during the process of cooking food in one of them" while some others claimed that "children playing with fire-crackers caused the fire".
"Most of the pilgrims had already left for Gurdwara Sacha Sauda by the time the tents caught fire," the channel said adding that only a few women and children were left behind who remained unhurt.
Some 4,000 Sikh pilgrims had reached Pakistan boarding special trains through the Wagah border Friday to attend the birth anniversary celebrations of Guru Nanak, founder of the Sikh faith.
The tents in Nankana Sahib had been erected for their temporary residence by the local authorities. They will also visit Hassan Abdal and Aimen Abad to visit religious sites before returning to India on November 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened