Sikh trader kidnapped in Pakistan: Report
Islamabad: A member of the minority Sikh community was kidnapped from an area on the outskirts of Peshawar city in northwest Pakistan, according to media reports.
Ranbir Singh was standing outside his house in Quaidabad, a suburb of Peshawar, when unidentified armed men seized him and took him away in a car on Monday night.
Singh was a trader and had a shop in Karkhano Market of Peshawar, media reports said.
No group claimed responsibility for the abduction.
Earlier this month, Mohindar Singh, another Sikh trader from Jogan Shah area of Peshawar, was killed by militants in Khyber Agency.
Mohinder was kidnapped in November.
Tawheedul Islam, a militant group, claimed responsibility for beheading Mohinder.
A note left with the body said he was killed for spying for a rival militant group, the Lashkar-e-Islam.
Mohinder Singh, 40, was a seller of herbal medicines, a trade that is common among Sikhs in northwest Pakistan.
Sikhs have lived in Khyber Agency and other parts of the semi-autonomous tribal areas for over six decades.
Many Sikh families were forced to flee the tribal region after the Pakistan Army launched operations against the Taliban and other militants groups over the past three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened