Sindh Assembly condemns attack on Christians
Karachi: The provincial Sindh Assembly on Monday passed a resolution condemning the barbaric attack on Christian homes in Lahore, a day after violence rocked Pakistan`s biggest city in the aftermath of the incident.
On Sunday, angry Christian youths came out on streets in many parts of Karachi, torching vehicles and damaging property to vent their anger against the attack on Christian homes in Lahore, capital of Punjab province.
The Sindh assembly passed its resolution on the `misuse of the blasphemy law` and to condemn the `barbaric` attack on the Christian homes.
The Christian colony was attacked on Friday with nearly 150 homes set on fire and destroyed by an angry mob of 2,000 Muslims searching for a Christian man who they accused of committing blasphemy by insulting the Prophet Mohammed.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif have also condemned the incident and police have arrested around 160 people for the attacks and today 35 of them were sent to judicial custody by an anti-terrorism court.
The resolution passed in the Sindh Assembly states, "The ransacking and burning on the alleged charges of blasphemy, when no evidence of the witnesses had been recorded and especially when the accused was already in the custody of police, is a distorted act of terrorism against the Christian Community."
It also urged the government of Sindh to take up the case with the Punjab government to get the attackers punished and also adequately compensate the victims and said that personal disputes are not to be converted into blasphemy acts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened