Sindh govt issues shoot-at-sight orders in Karachi
Karachi: The Sindh government on Wednesday issued
shoot-at-sight orders in Pakistan`s port city of Karachi to
quell bloody riots that have claimed at least 63 lives and
injured 155 following the murder of a prominent lawmaker two
Reza Haider, a senior member of Sindh Provincial
Assembly, was gunned down along with his bodyguard and a party
worker on Monday by unidentified assailants when he had gone
to a mosque to attend the funeral of a relative.
The death of the legislator belonging to the Muthaida
Qaumi Movement (MQM) sparked off a deadly outbreak of riots in
the country`s commercial capital.
Police and hospital officials said that 63 people have
been killed and 155 people are being treated in hospitals as
of now in the violence.
Sindh Home Minister Zulfiqar Mirza said Rangers and
police personnel have been ordered to shoot at miscreants
indulging in violence.
Scores of shops, vehicles, houses and carts were burnt
by unidentified miscreants despite heavy patrolling on roads
and streets in the city.
The All Karachi Traders Association claimed that
businessmen had suffered a loss of 10 billion Rupees because
of the violence in two days.
Life remained at a standstill as all markets, schools,
colleges, commercial areas, public and private transport were
closed here on the second day of a three-day mourning period
announced by the MQM for their slain leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door