Sindh govt requests Army`s assistance for Muharram
Karachi: The government in Pakistan`s Sindh province has requested the armed forces to be on alert and ready to step in if called to maintain peace during the period of Ashura in Muharram.
According to a report in the "Express Tribune" newspaper the Sindh government had sent a letter to the Karachi Corps Commander keeping in mind the deteriorating law and order situation and looming terrorist threats during Ashura which is the 10th day of Muharram.
Quoting sources in the home department the report said the Sindh Chief Secretary had written a letter to the Karachi Corps Commander, asking to deploy armed forces in Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Mirpurkhas and Larkana divisions.
The Army would not patrol roads but remain on alert in the district headquarters on both the days.
However the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) denied receiving any such letter from the Sindh government.
Earlier, Sindh Minister for Prisons Manzoor Wasan had approved the federal government`s decision to deweaponise the country and supported the idea of conducting operations in Karachi.
"Karachi has become a nursery for the criminals and it is high time to start an operation without any delay," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights