Six fishermen injured in attack by Lankan naval personnel
Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu): Six fishermen were injured, two of them seriously, when they were attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel near Katchathivu islet early Sunday morning.
Officials said Lankan naval personnel beat them with pipes, beer bottles and thick ropes and also cut the nets in several boats. The injured fishermen have been hospitalised.
Union Minister for road transport and Highways Oscar Fernandes had stated at Vailankanni yesterday that he would take up with the external affairs minister, incidents of continuing attacks on fishermen from Tamil Nadu.
About 30 fishermen of this district had lodged a complaint with fisheries department officials on July 13 stating they had been attacked by Lankan naval personnel while fishing off Nagapattinam coast on Friday and that they had taken away Rs 40 lakh worth fishing nets.
The incident had sparked protests by fishermen of over 10 hamlets in the district, who launched an indefinite fast, demanding concrete action from both central and state governments to put a stop to such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town