Six fishermen injured in attack by Lankan naval personnel
Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu): Six fishermen were injured, two of them seriously, when they were attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel near Katchathivu islet early Sunday morning.
Officials said Lankan naval personnel beat them with pipes, beer bottles and thick ropes and also cut the nets in several boats. The injured fishermen have been hospitalised.
Union Minister for road transport and Highways Oscar Fernandes had stated at Vailankanni yesterday that he would take up with the external affairs minister, incidents of continuing attacks on fishermen from Tamil Nadu.
About 30 fishermen of this district had lodged a complaint with fisheries department officials on July 13 stating they had been attacked by Lankan naval personnel while fishing off Nagapattinam coast on Friday and that they had taken away Rs 40 lakh worth fishing nets.
The incident had sparked protests by fishermen of over 10 hamlets in the district, who launched an indefinite fast, demanding concrete action from both central and state governments to put a stop to such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Types of HIV carried by chimps can infect humans: Study
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated
- Defence Minister Parrikar leaves for Chennai to monitor ops of missing IAF AN 32