Six fishermen injured in attack by Lankan naval personnel
Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu): Six fishermen were injured, two of them seriously, when they were attacked allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel near Katchathivu islet early Sunday morning.
Officials said Lankan naval personnel beat them with pipes, beer bottles and thick ropes and also cut the nets in several boats. The injured fishermen have been hospitalised.
Union Minister for road transport and Highways Oscar Fernandes had stated at Vailankanni yesterday that he would take up with the external affairs minister, incidents of continuing attacks on fishermen from Tamil Nadu.
About 30 fishermen of this district had lodged a complaint with fisheries department officials on July 13 stating they had been attacked by Lankan naval personnel while fishing off Nagapattinam coast on Friday and that they had taken away Rs 40 lakh worth fishing nets.
The incident had sparked protests by fishermen of over 10 hamlets in the district, who launched an indefinite fast, demanding concrete action from both central and state governments to put a stop to such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY