Six get life imprisonment for plot to kill Mush
Islamabad: An anti-terrorist court in Pakistan`s Rawalpindi city Tuesday sentenced six men to life imprisonment for plotting to carry out a suicide attack to kill former President Pervez Musharraf in 2008.
Justice Raja Akhlaq pronounced the verdict in Rawalpindi`s Adila jail where the case was being heard.
The six accused men were sentenced to life in prison with Rs.50,000 cash penalty each. However, seven others were acquitted for lack of conclusive evidence and were given "benefit of doubt".
Security forces had nabbed 13 suspected terrorists June 6, 2008, from Dhok Kala Khan, a suburb of Rawalpindi, along with 300 kg of explosives and detonators in three vehicles.
Special public prosecutor Ch. Zulfiqar Ali Tuesday said, "Justice has prevailed".
The lawyer for the accused said his clients had not been given proper hearing and they will appeal the sentence in the high court.
The Federal Investigation Agency had charged the suspects with hatching a conspiracy to assassinate then president Pervez Musharraf. The militants were reportedly planning to hit the wall of the Army House, where Musharraf stayed as army chief-cum-president, before barging into the house.
Musharraf didn`t vacate the tightly guarded Army House in Rawalpindi to shift into the Presidency in Islamabad because of security threats.
There were many attempts on his life and he spent his tenure literally under blanket security provided by the military.
Since he assumed power in a bloodless coup in 1999, the Pakistani military dictator survived at least three major attempts to kill him. He stepped down as president in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Vijay Mallya's loan default case: DRT to resume hearing on UBHL's plea countering banks
- German bar attacker Syrian, had psychiatric problems
- SHOCKING: When Narsingh Yadav was caught cheating in a Maharashtra police exam!
- Delhi again failed her Nirbhaya, says DCW chief as 14-year-old Dalit rape victim dies
- Check out five stunning Instagram photos of ‘Mohenjo Daro’ beauty Pooja Hegde