Six Indians in Nepalese Maoists` PLA
Kathmandu: Six Indians, including a woman,
found their way into the Nepalese Maoists` People`s
Liberation Army and were even verified by the United Nations`
Mission here, a media report has said, triggering serious
concerns about the credibility of the verification process.
They were among the 19,602 Maoist combatants verified by
the United Nations Mission in Nepal (UNMIN) in 2007, `The
Kathmandu Post` reported.
Four of them were verified during the regrouping of the
Maoist combatants while two were verified at the First
Division in Ilam district by the UNMIN, the daily reported,
quoting sources at the Army Integration Special Committee.
Four of the six Indians had already filled up survey
forms last month at the Third Division headquarters of the
Maoist combatants in Chitwan.
They were identified as Panalal Kumar Chaudhary and Bhola
Chaudhary from Motihari in Bihar and Amar Subba and woman
combatant Chanda Limbu from Darjeeling in West Bengal and
Sikkim respectively, the report said.
Panalal, Bhola and Chanda were registered under Kalyan
Anish Memorial Brigade of the Maoist army by UNMIN in 2007,
while Subba was registered under Bethan Memorial Brigade.
Panalal, 23, was recruited into the Maoist Army in June
2005 and has been listed as section vice-commander of the
Maoists` PLA. Bhola Chaudhary alias "Danger", 16, was also
recruited into the Maoist army in May 2005 and he too has been
given the responsibility of section vice-commander.
Company commander Subba, 35, is the senior ranking
combatant among the four participating in the regrouping
process. He had joined the PLA in 2003.
The woman combatant Chanda alias Dibya, 24, from Sikkim
was recruited into the PLA in 2005.
Of the four, Chanda opted for integration during the
"We cannot provide options offered by the Special
Committee to the combatants who are not Nepali nationals,"
said the main opposition Nepali Congress leader and Special
Committee member Ram Sharan Mahat.
He said the registration of the Indian nationals as PLA
cadre has raised serious question regarding the credibility of
the verification process carried out by UNMIN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30