Six killed after boat capsizes in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Six people were drowned on Thursday when a boat carrying over a hundred passengers capsized in the Jamuna river in Bangladesh.
The mishap took place near the Mituani Bazar boat pier area, when the boat sank after hitting a rundown bridge, Chawhali Upazila Executive Officer Mohammad Abdullah was quoted as saying by the bdnews24.
The boat was ferrying nearly 100 passengers from Mituani Bazar to Char Salimabad.
Around 20 people have been rescued so far by local people using their own boats, even as a team of divers from Dhaka were on their way to Sirajganj to help the rescue operations.
Six bodies have been recovered so far and rescue operations are on, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader