Six killed, dozens injured in Balochistan blast
Islamabad, Jun 11 (PTI) Six persons were killed and dozens injured when a bomb went off near a bus in the restive Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan on Monday, officials said.
The bomb, hidden in a motorcycle, was detonated by remote control as the bus was passing through Mastung district, 50 km south of the provincial capital of Quetta.
Officials confirmed the death of six persons. Over two dozen people were injured.
Nearly 50 people, including women and children, were in the bus.
The condition of three of the wounded was critical, officials said.
The injured were taken to a nearby hospital and those in a critical condition were later shifted to Quetta.
Footage on television showed that the bus was extensively damaged by the blast.
Police officials said the intended target of the bombing might have been a bus with Shia pilgrims that passed the area minutes before the explosion.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Balochistan has witnessed a string of sectarian attacks that targeted the minority Shia community.
Scores have died in these attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre