Six people die in Kathmandu market fire
Kathmandu: At least six people were charred
to death in capital Kathmandu after a fire broke out at city`s
main wholesale market of fruits and vegetables.
The fire started due to short circuit from the storehouse
of the main building of Kalimati Fruits and Vegetable
Market Committee complex at around 10.30 PM (local time) and
spread to other parts of the building, Deputy Superintendent
of Police of Kalimati Police Station Tek Bahadur Tamang said.
Those killed included five persons from a family -- a
security guard, his wife and three children -- police said,
adding that all those killed were the locals.
As per initial estimates, property worth over Rs 100
million was also gutted in the devastating fire.
It took almost four hours to douse the fire after as many
as six fire engines and dozens of fire fighters were pressed
Meanwhile, security has been tightened up in the area as
a precautionary measure.
The intensity of the fire could be judged from the fact
that smoke was still coming out from the incident sight till
The Kalimati Fruits and Vegetable market is the main
supply centre of fruits and vegetable to Kathmandu, where
goods are brought mainly from southern plains of the country
apart from different parts of India every day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report