Six people killed in clashes over 1997 B`desh peace accord
Dhaka: At least six people were killed
Friday in violent clashes in Bangladesh`s southeastern
Chittagong over the implementation of a landmark 1997 peace
accord that ended a protracted insurgency in the region,
officials and reports said.
Officials said the violence spread across the region
after five Buddhist tribesmen were killed at Jurachari area of
Rangamati Hill district in gunfights between rival groups over
the implementation of the 1997 Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace
Police and army officials confirmed six deaths in the
The Parbatya Chattagram Jana Sanghati Samity (PCJSS),
which supports the accord it reached with the government led
by Sheikh Hasina in 1997, has been on loggerheads with United
Peoples Democratic Front (UPDF) that is opposed to it.
The deal had led to the pulling out of several army
camps from the Chittagong Hill Tracts.
"Interventions of army troops and policemen stopped
the clash at the scene but the incident has sparked violence
among the supporters of the two groups at Kaptai area of the
district and Dighinala area of the (neighboring) Khagrachhari
hill district," said a security official over the phone.
The activists of the two groups were locked in clashes
at Naikhangchhari area of Rangamati where one tribesman was
killed. In gunfights at Dighinala, one tribal boy was
critically injured in crossfire.
PCJSS, the political wing of the now defunct Shanti
Bahini insurgents which signed the 1997 accord with the
government, in a statement claimed that all the dead to be
their activists. It blamed the UPDF activists of abducting
four of their supporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days