SL conflict report to be released next week
Colombo: The report of a Sri Lankan commission analysing the three-decade-long Tamil conflict and the lessons learnt from it will soon be released in Tamil and Sinhala languages.
The report of the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) was made public in December 2011 but was only released in English.
The government this week made public its action plan which dealt with the anticipated time scales to implement all the recommendations.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s Secretary Lalith Weeratunga who heads the panel to oversee the LLRC recommendations said the Sinhala and Tamil versions of the LLRC report would be issued next week.
The LLRC was Sri Lanka`s answer to international calls for investigation into the alleged human rights abuses during the last stage of the military campaign against the LTTE.
An expert panel of the UN Secretary General demanded that Sri Lanka start a credible investigation into rights abuses.
Since the LLRC report was made public Sri Lanka was put under pressure to implement its recommendations in order to achieve reconciliation with the Tamil minority.
The Tamil language issue, one of the deep rooted causes of the ethnic strife, was addressed in the LLRC recommendations.
Action to make it compulsory that all government offices have Tamil speaking officers and that no district or province should be categorised in terms of language are two key such recommendations in the LLRC aimed at achieving language parity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM