SL fishermen threaten TN fishermen, take away Rs 10 lakh nets
Rameswaram (TN): Sri Lankan fishermen on Wednesday allegedly threatened their counterparts from Pamban area here who were fishing in an area close to the island nation and took away 10 nets worth Rs 20 lakh.
Fisheries department officials said Sri Lankan fishermen offered to return the nets provided mechanised boat fishermen stopped using banned nets as it badly affected marine wealth in their fishing zone and their livelihood.
The Sri Lankan fishermen accused Indian fisheries department officials of conniving with mechanised boat owners to allow them to carry the banned nets and warned that if this went on, the island nation`s naval personnel would continue arresting them.
Meanwhile, Sri Lankan naval personnel arrested five fishermen and seized their mechanised boat when they were fishing near Katchathivu.
They also reportedly chased away at gunpoint most of the 589 mechanised boats fishing in Katchativu islet area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS