SL Navy arrests Australia bound illegal migrants
Colombo: The Sri Lanka Navy has arrested 67 people attempting to illegally leave for Australia by boat, taking the number of such arrests to over 400 in the last 10 days.
The Naval spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya said 54 Tamils and 13 Sinhalese were arrested off the west coast region of Wennappuwa yesterday.
Since July 10, the tally of illegal migrants to Australia has now crossed the 400 mark, authorities said.
The incidents continue to occur despite measures put in place by the local authorities to try and stop the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing