SL Navy arrests Australia bound illegal migrants
Colombo: The Sri Lanka Navy has arrested 67 people attempting to illegally leave for Australia by boat, taking the number of such arrests to over 400 in the last 10 days.
The Naval spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya said 54 Tamils and 13 Sinhalese were arrested off the west coast region of Wennappuwa yesterday.
Since July 10, the tally of illegal migrants to Australia has now crossed the 400 mark, authorities said.
The incidents continue to occur despite measures put in place by the local authorities to try and stop the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report